Microsoft says users may see up to 18 Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) screens when they turn on their Windows PC for the first time. These screens require you to accept the license agreement, connect to the internet, log in with, or sign up for a Microsoft Account etc. OOBE customization can simplify or eliminate these screen choices when you start your PC for the first time. Three customization methods are:
Windows 10 Auto Pilot
Autopilot configures Windows 10 devices from the cloud— with a few simple clicks, the device becomes business-ready.
For an overview of Autopilot click here.
To test Windows 10 Autopilot, see our related blog here.
Windows Autopilot enables you to:
- Customize OOBE content specific to the organization
- Automatically join devices to Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) or Active Directory (via Hybrid Azure AD Join)
- Auto-enroll devices into MDM services, such as Microsoft Intune
- Restrict the Administrator account creation
Set up School PCs
“Set up School PCs” makes it easy to set up Windows 10 PCs with Microsoft’s recommended education settings. This app configures a USB flash drive that is used to ready the PCs. When you insert the USB drive Windows recognizes the provisioning package and gets the PC ready for use. Set up School PCs can enroll devices into a mobile device manager and:
- Join each student PC to your organization’s Office 365 and Azure Active Directory tenant.
- Enable the optional Autopilot Reset feature, to return devices to a fully configured or known IT-approved state.
- Utilize Windows Update and maintenance hours to keeps student PCs up-to-date, without interfering with class time.
- Lock down the student PC to prevent activity that isn’t beneficial to his or her education.
Unattended Windows Setup
You can perform a clean installation of Windows 10 without any user interaction with the use of an answer file.
- Answer files can be created with Windows System Image Manager that can be found here.
- Unattended settings that can be set in Windows 10 are described here.
- Use of the unattended file when setting up Windows is described here here.
Windows can be customized so it is ready for your users when they first power on their PC. Need more information? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!