A Citrix Virtual Delivery Agent (VDA) includes the Citrix User Profile Management (UPM) service. If the UPM service is configured via Group Policy, you may find that your UPM profiles are no longer working after a VDA upgrade. This may occur on either a XenApp server or XenDesktop workstation. Identification of this issue can be found by reviewing the event viewer and log file. Once confirmed that this is the problem, the issue can be corrected with a couple of easy steps.
Reboot and then verify the UPM service configuration
Once the reboot is complete, you can check the Windows Application Event Viewer and/or the UPM log file. Here is what you should look for:
- Event ID 10 from Source “Citrix Profile Management” will show the path to the user store when a user logs on. If not configured, this event will not exist at user logon.
- When rebooting after an upgrade. the log file ‘C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\UserProfileManager\%Computerame%_pm_config.log” may show the following message: Configuration value PathToUserStore set neither in policy nor in INI file. Defaulting to: <Windows>
If you do find these problems, then the UPM service is no longer configured, and you need to take further action.
Correcting the issue
One option is to wait for the next Group Policy refresh interval; however, that could be as long as 90 minutes. If you don’t want to wait, there are a few other approaches you can take to the get the service to read the GPO again for its configuration:
- From an Administrative command prompt run GPUpdate /force. Once completed, check the log file for your configured
- Apply the Group Policy option “Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon” and reboot or force a policy update.
- Note: this is my preferred way to prevent the issue during future upgrades.
You also should be aware that pushing out a catalog update may cause user profile issues if your UPM service is not properly picking up its configuration settings.
It is important to take steps to ensure a smooth upgrade of your VDAs and Citrix User Profile Management service and verify the profile service is configured properly. If you need more information or assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!