They say the best offense is a good defense. That’s as true for cybersecurity as it is for sports. Protecting your organization requires reflecting on your current cybersecurity strategies and taking action based on what you find. For many organizations, managed services can be a cost-effective way to harden your security without burdening your staff. Let’s take a look at five critical questions to ask yourself before a security breach occurs.
5 Security Questions to Ask Yourself
Here are five questions to help you assess where you stand when it comes to cybersecurity:
- Are we enforcing access policies based on user, device, and location? Cybersecurity threats can come from anywhere. In today’s bring-your-own-device (BYOD) environments, it’s likely that more devices are connecting to your network than ever before. Are policies being consistently enforced at every level?
- Do we have an incident response plan that has been tested and works? Threats are inevitable. Do you have a plan in place for how you will respond? Have you delegated responsibilities and prepared your employees? How will you preserve data? Does it meet the legal requirements for your industry? Has your plan been tested?
- How do we monitor abnormal network traffic, devices, and user behavior in our environment? The average time to identify and contain a breach is 279 days, according to IBM. Obviously, the sooner you recognize abnormal traffic, devices, and behavior on your network, the sooner you can identify and contain a threat. The longer it takes for a breach to be contained, the higher the risk to your organization.
- Do we have a tested and functional business continuity plan? If you have a business continuity plan, when is the last time you reviewed, updated, and tested it? The US Department of Homeland Security suggests conducting a business impact analysis and identifying recovery strategies before developing and testing your plan.
- How are we detecting suspicious activity in the cloud? More and more of our data is stored in the cloud. Is it secure? How do you know?
Securing Your Organization with Managed Security Services
At Peters & Associates, we’ve designed our managed services with security in mind. Our PULSE Security Services include round-the-clock monitoring, incident response management, strategy and business continuity planning, and security training and testing. With our nearly four decades of experience, we can help you answer those five questions and develop a comprehensive defensive strategy you can trust.